Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bruce's photos
First attempt at posting photos.
I used FastStone Photosizer free download to reduce file size below 0.5Mb limit on this Forum.    
The tip of the bayonet felt so hot when I pulled myself towards the tree trunk.
(07-18-2019, 03:47 PM)bruffman Wrote: First attempt at posting photos.
I used FastStone Photosizer free download to reduce file size below 0.5Mb limit on this Forum.

Thanks for the post, Bruce. Nice scene. If I were to put it into an ancient warfare context, I can think of a couple of situations where a warrior might use his sword that way. 1) Self-administered discipline by an unquestioning soldier who has failed in his mission and incurred a death sentence from his general; 2) a variation on the classic "falling on one's own sword," when all of his mates have been slaughtered, and defeat, capture and death at the hands of the enemy are imminent. He robs them of the pleasure of taking him alive. I'm sure there are other scenes too.
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in hell!" -- Leonidas at Thermopylae
(07-18-2019, 09:49 PM)TakeNoPrizners Wrote:

Thanks for the post, Bruce. Nice scene. If I were to put it into an ancient warfare context, I can think of a couple of situations where a warrior might use his sword that way. 1) Self-administered discipline by an unquestioning soldier who has failed in his mission and incurred a death sentence from his general; 2) a variation on the classic "falling on one's own sword," when all of his mates have been slaughtered, and defeat, capture and death at the hands of the enemy are imminent. He robs them of the pleasure of taking him alive. I'm sure there are other scenes too.
Thank you TakeNoPrizners for your suggestions. Makes me excited thinking about those scenes.
I think it could also be an initiation ceremony before entering a warrior group. An aspiring new warrior has to demonstrate his courage by showing how much pain he can take in his gut, in front of the chief and his warrior group, then they all take a vote on whether he can be allowed in.
(07-19-2019, 11:03 AM)bruffman Wrote:
(07-18-2019, 09:49 PM)TakeNoPrizners Wrote:

Thank you TakeNoPrizners for your suggestions. Makes me excited thinking about those scenes.
I think it could also be an initiation ceremony before entering a warrior group. An aspiring new warrior has to demonstrate his courage by showing how much pain he can take in his gut, in front of the chief and his warrior group, then they all take a vote on whether he can be allowed in.

Bruce, yeah I like the initiation idea too. So hot to think about studs who are so eager to prove their fierceness that they eagerly enter into the challenge of self-administered sword pain. In the back of their minds they also know they'll eventually die by the sword, so the initiation ritual is a kind of dress rehearsal for battle death.
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in hell!" -- Leonidas at Thermopylae
very hot!