Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
World Building Idea
This is only an idea for a future combat world.
The city is divided into three parts: The New City, The Intercity, and the Old City.
The wealthiest live in the domed an luxurious New City. Among the entertainments, they watch, sponsor, and bet on combat coming from the Old City.
The Old City, the decaying parts outside of the dome, is broken up into sectors. Each sector is composed of groups based on entertainment value. Let's say our sector is all male. They are not born there, but are genetically modified and cloned based on appearance, strength, cleverness, raised in the Intercity area, then released into the Old City at random places at a certain age. Each sector is essentially divided into streets that are controlled by gangs. Their activity is closely followed by hundreds of cameras sprinkled about. They have access to some necessities through the Old City, but sponsors in the New City can provide better quality food. They also provide weapons, but I imagine for now, mostly swords, knives, spears, & bow and arrows.
Obviously, conflicts emerge among the gangs, and sometimes within, but they are encouraged not to fight within the Old City (though they sometimes do). Connecting the Old City and the Intercity are arenas. Sponsors of the gangs can control, to some extent, the conditions of combat within the arena. The appeal of the arena for the gangs is that winners are allowed into the Intercity area, which is basically a pleasure palace with real food, luxury, drugs, orgies, etc. The more kills one gets in the arena, the greater the access to luxury. Sponsors who are great fans of particular warriors pay big bucks to meet their hero in the Intercity for sex and play.
What do you think? Any ideas for episodes in this world?
This is a very creative and thought provoking idea justthisguy.

An Orwellian like world where gladiatorial style combat entertains and makes many rich.

My idea for an episode would be a modern day Sparticus leading a clone fighters’ rebellion against the elitist system and in so doing uniting the gangs. Of course he cannot succeed and ultimately pays a heavy price but a seed for insurrection has been sown!

For the elite there could be bio transmitters that allow them to experience what a clone does. Then the elite could experience a bladed fight with attenuated physical sensations of being stabbed or feel full sensation sex Tongue
(11-11-2022, 03:05 AM)justthisguy11 Wrote: This is only an idea for a future combat world.
The city is divided into three parts: The New City, The Intercity, and the Old City.
The wealthiest live in the domed an luxurious New City. Among the entertainments, they watch, sponsor, and bet on combat coming from the Old City.
The Old City, the decaying parts outside of the dome, is broken up into sectors. Each sector is composed of groups based on entertainment value. Let's say our sector is all male. They are not born there, but are genetically modified and cloned based on appearance, strength, cleverness, raised in the Intercity area, then released into the Old City at random places at a certain age. Each sector is essentially divided into streets that are controlled by gangs. Their activity is closely followed by hundreds of cameras sprinkled about. They have access to some necessities through the Old City, but sponsors in the New City can provide better quality food. They also provide weapons, but I imagine for now, mostly swords, knives, spears, & bow and arrows.
Obviously, conflicts emerge among the gangs, and sometimes within, but they are encouraged not to fight within the Old City (though they sometimes do). Connecting the Old City and the Intercity are arenas. Sponsors of the gangs can control, to some extent, the conditions of combat within the arena. The appeal of the arena for the gangs is that winners are allowed into the Intercity area, which is basically a pleasure palace with real food, luxury, drugs, orgies, etc. The more kills one gets in the arena, the greater the access to luxury. Sponsors who are great fans of particular warriors pay big bucks to meet their hero in the Intercity for sex and play.
What do you think? Any ideas for episodes in this world?

I think is a very interesting idea! Looking at your post history, I assume you are fond of the Hunger Games and I can see the influence here. Dystopian has always been a favored genre of mine. A post apocalyptic morally ambiguous world lends itself well to these kind of fantasies. Suddenly stripped of modern luxuries how long would it take for humanity to descend back into the primal animals that we truly are; where life is cheap, fighting and survival of the fittest is the way of the world, and people do what they have to in order to survive. It gets even better in my opinion, if things like bullets and guns are in short supply and without the means to produce them, we revert back to weapons such as swords, spears, and bows. The stories practically start to write themselves at that point!
It's not just the Hunger Games. Some of the political comedians I like have been talking about the disaster-proof luxury bunkers that the world's billionaires seem to be building, especially in New Zealand & Australia. Apparently on Vice there is a security expert who talk about some of the meetings he's had with these people, & to be honest, they sound like a bunch of wanna be Bond villains. (How de we make sure our Navy Seal type soldiers remain loyal. How about shock collars? Do you think they'll work? -- This nonsense is real!) A story of things going wrong in a bunker might be a fun one to write, too, though. I mean, Navy Seals. Right... I think the above idea is to take this a few steps away from reality. More grand scale nonsense fun.
(11-11-2022, 10:12 PM)justthisguy11 Wrote: It's not just the Hunger Games. Some of the political comedians I like have been talking about the disaster-proof luxury bunkers that the world's billionaires seem to be building, especially in New Zealand & Australia. Apparently on Vice there is a security expert who talk about some of the meetings he's had with these people, & to be honest, they sound like a bunch of wanna be Bond villains. (How de we make sure our Navy Seal type soldiers remain loyal. How about shock collars? Do you think they'll work? -- This nonsense is real!) A story of things going wrong in a bunker might be a fun one to write, too, though. I mean, Navy Seals. Right...  I think the above idea is to take this a few steps away from reality. More grand scale nonsense fun.
Really, really like this idea.   Thanks for suggesting it.   I echo what XMalcolmX said.
I find this idea incredibly intriguing. It paves the way for all sorts of stories and possible RP's!
Tales of traveling gladiator shows, complete with a circus atmosphere and death.
Morituri Te Salutamus - Those about to die salute you. 
I am definitely from the old city. I stole a rapier from the gangs and I need someone to sponsor me. I’ve had a rough life in the old city and I wasn’t afraid to ram my rappier into a bunch of bellies. Anyways willing to sponsor me?
(11-12-2022, 11:17 PM)KnitNot Wrote: I am definitely from the old city. I stole a rapier from the gangs and I need someone to sponsor me. I’ve had a rough life in the old city and I wasn’t afraid to ram my rappier into a bunch of bellies. Anyways willing to sponsor me?
New City Viewer 1171890 sends you via Amazon drone (they're still out there, go figure...) some high protein food (doesn't taste great, you gotta make your way into the Intercity for the nice stuff) as well as a new but revealing outfit that allows you to stow your rapier as well as two daggers included within. Make your way to the Arena & then  to the Intercity & perhaps there can be some fun!
(11-13-2022, 12:48 AM)justthisguy11 Wrote:
(11-12-2022, 11:17 PM)KnitNot Wrote: I am definitely from the old city. I stole a rapier from the gangs and I need someone to sponsor me. I’ve had a rough life in the old city and I wasn’t afraid to ram my rappier into a bunch of bellies. Anyways willing to sponsor me?
New City Viewer 1171890 sends you via Amazon drone (they're still out there, go figure...) some high protein food (doesn't taste great, you gotta make your way into the Intercity for the nice stuff) as well as a new but revealing outfit that allows you to stow your rapier as well as two daggers included within. Make your way to the Arena & then  to the Intercity & perhaps there can be some fun!
I collect my package and settle in the slums adjacent to the Arena where I await my turn to participate in the next round of fights in order to earn the necessary credits and glory to permit me to visit and enjoy all the comforts the Intercity has to offer.